What is the Climate Change Youth Advisory Committee?
The Climate Change Secretariat (CCS) is launching a Climate Change Youth Advisory Committee to provide a voice for youth to champion climate issues in Nunavut. The work of the committee will provide direct and meaningful input into climate change related initiatives across Nunavut.
As a committee member you will:
- Raise awareness among Nunavummiut on climate change issues affecting their communities.
- Provide a youth perspective and input on CCS programs, policies and activities.
- Advise the CCS on emerging climate change issues of concern to youth.
- Represent Nunavut youth at climate change gatherings; and
- Have the opportunity to become engaged climate change leaders in Nunavut.
Who is eligible to be on the Youth Advisory Committee?
- Membership of the committee will include the following youth (18-29 years old):
- 2 youth from North Baffin (Resolute Bay, Grise Fiord, Arctic Bay, Pond Inlet, Clyde River, Igloolik and Sanirajak)
- 2 youth from South Baffin (Qikiqtarjuaq, Pangnirtung, Iqaluit, Kimmirut, Kinngait, Sanikiluaq)
- 3 youth from Kivalliq
- 2 youth from Kitikmeot
- Applicants must demonstrate an interest in climate change related issues and be committed to participate fully in all aspects of committee activities and programs.
- Applicants must demonstrate some of the following qualities: leadership; interest in learning; active involvement in the community; and a desire to make a difference.
- Applicants will be required to represent and be an ambassador for their community.
Who can apply?
Any youth between the ages of 18-29 years whose home community is in Nunavut can apply.
Preference will be given to youth enrolled under the Nunavut Agreement.
How do I apply?
- Click here to fill out the application form
- Please contact email@example.com or (867) 975-7761 to receive a paper copy in the mail
- Paper applications will also be made available at your local Government Liaison Office (GLO).
- You will need to list two (2) adult non-family members (teacher, mentor, and community member, elder) as references within your application to be contacted.